nähtävyyksien katselu, Kulttuurinen
An excursion dedicated to the beautifully-preserved town of Gjirokastër, declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site, which will charm us with its maze of alleyways and countless monuments retracing its history.
What we will see
- Town of Gjirokastër
- Gjirokastër castle and Museum of Weapons
- Ottoman bazaar and Bazaar Mosque
- Mecite district
- Varosh district
What we will do
- We venture inland by coach to reach the town of Gjirokastër, which dominates the Drin river valley from its position perched on a mountain massif.
- We venture into the city of a thousand steps along its steep cobbled streets that wind their way around stone houses and slate-roof buildings which are typical of the local architecture.
- We visit Gjirokastër castle, whose marvellously strategic position provides exceptional views over the city and valley.
- We wander around the Museum of Weapons inside the castle, which displays a collection of Second World War artillery.
- We then enter the ancient Ottoman bazaar district dating back to the 17th century to have a look at the shops and artefacts and see the Bazaar Mosque, the only one remaining of the fifteen that were built during the Ottoman domination.
- We also visit the Mescite district, one of the greenest in the city with its natural water springs and ancient hammam dating back to Ottoman times.
- We end our tour in the Varosh district, the farthest from the citadel and home to the17th-century Church of St. Michael the Archangel, the leading Orthodox place of worship in the city.
What you need to know
Note: The tour by coach is often on winding roads. To reach the village of Gjirokastra from the coach park it is necessary to walk approx.15 minutes uphill and climb 35 steps. Comfortable shoes and clothing are recommended. This excursion is not recommended for guests with mobility problems.