BUENOS AIRES AND BOCA JUNIOR STADIUM
nähtävyyksien katselu, Kulttuurinen, Shopping
Buenos Aires is the city with the largest number of football teams in the world - there are around twenty of them taking part in professional championships, including Boca Junior and their rivals, River Plate. After a sightseeing tour of the city, we visit the majestic Bombonera stadium, a truly fascinating experience even for those not passionate about football.
What we will see
- Sightseeing tour of Buenos Aires
- Plaza de Mayo, Pirámide de Mayo, Casa Rosada, Cabildo, Metropolitan Cathedral
- La Boca neighbourhood, coloured houses, Caminito
- La Bombonera, Museo de la Pasión Boquense
What we will do
- We start the tour of the city from Plaza de Mayo, one of the most ancient places which is the cultural, political and historical heart of the city. Here, we admire the Pirámide de Mayo, Casa Rosada, residence of the President of the Republic, and the Cabildo, a fascinating colonial building which is now the National Museum of the May Revolution. On the north side of the square, the Metropolitan Cathedral stands with its unmistakeable Baroque style. Inside, we find the tomb on national hero José de San Martín.
- The excursion continues towards the famous La Boca neighbourhood, which has a long and significant history whose fame goes well beyond the borders of the city. La Boca was the first port in Buenos Aires where a blue collar neighbourhood emerged. This is where most of the Italian and Spanish immigrants (mainly from Genoa) who arrived during the 19th century looking for fortune, lived and created the typical European atmosphere that has survived to this day. Most of its inhabitants are now of Italian origin. The neighbourhood is characterised by its coloured houses decorated with flags, statues and posters of Diego Armando Maradona and is home to the oldest tango clubs in the city. The most famous street of the neighbourhood is Caminito, flanked by houses painted in lively colours and stalls run by local artists and artisans. La Boca is famous for sports enthusiasts, and football enthusiasts in particular, thanks to La Bombonera, the stadium of the Boca Junior team, one of the most famous teams all over the world. Inside the stadium, we can visit the Museo de la Pasión Boquense, which retraces the history of the club and of its famous footballers, including Diego Armando Maradona, a true national hero, whose statue towers over the entrance to the stadium.
What you need to know